Recently my Windows Search started to misbehave. It consumed large amounts of memory and CPU time. In addition, the index (in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data) grew to several gigabytes. To workaround that, I tried to reduce the indexed locations (Win + W, “change how windows searches”) and rebuild the index. So I changed the locations to only index Documents and hit “Rebuild”: While this fixed the issues mentioned before, something new occurred. Suddenly, every time I tried to search for something in the search charm the computer began to freeze, keystrokes were not accepted at all or with a severe delay. The troubleshooter did not produce any meaningful results and rebuilding the index did not help either. It turned out, the solution is[…]